Around Sylvan Beach

Nonfiction, Travel, Pictorials, Art & Architecture, Photography, History
Cover of the book Around Sylvan Beach by Brandy Ann, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Brandy Ann ISBN: 9781439620205
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: July 7, 2008
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing Language: English
Author: Brandy Ann
ISBN: 9781439620205
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: July 7, 2008
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
Language: English
On the sandy shores and calm waters of Oneida Lake rests Sylvan Beach. For many years, the entire region was simply known as Fish Creek, and it was settled by George Haskins in the early 1800s. When the Erie Canal was completed in 1825, the area began to flourish. James D. Spencer arrived in the hamlet of Fish Creek in the 1840s and settled near Wood River and the Oswego Midland Railroad station. In the 1870s, he began to develop the sandy shores along Oneida Lake, and the first visitors to Spencer�s Grove arrived in August 1878. Sylvan Beach received its name in the spring of 1886, when the New York, Ontario and Western Railroad built a loop into Spencer�s Grove. Sylvan Beach continued to thrive with the addition of the railway station, allowing the shipment of produce and lumber as well as the arrival of large numbers of vacationers. These vintage images chronicle the history of Sylvan Beach and its surrounding communities, illustrating the region�s strong link to the vast history of America.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
On the sandy shores and calm waters of Oneida Lake rests Sylvan Beach. For many years, the entire region was simply known as Fish Creek, and it was settled by George Haskins in the early 1800s. When the Erie Canal was completed in 1825, the area began to flourish. James D. Spencer arrived in the hamlet of Fish Creek in the 1840s and settled near Wood River and the Oswego Midland Railroad station. In the 1870s, he began to develop the sandy shores along Oneida Lake, and the first visitors to Spencer�s Grove arrived in August 1878. Sylvan Beach received its name in the spring of 1886, when the New York, Ontario and Western Railroad built a loop into Spencer�s Grove. Sylvan Beach continued to thrive with the addition of the railway station, allowing the shipment of produce and lumber as well as the arrival of large numbers of vacationers. These vintage images chronicle the history of Sylvan Beach and its surrounding communities, illustrating the region�s strong link to the vast history of America.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Hidden History of Memphis by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Stories from the Mohawk Valley by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Forgotten Tales of Indiana by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Colorado National Monument by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Midland by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Ghosts of the Blackstone Valley by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book East Tennessee in World War II by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Lost Ski Areas of Colorado's Front Range and Northern Mountains by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Milton Firefighting by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Lost Ski Areas of the White Mountains by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Lafayette Square by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Chicago Latinos at Work by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Denver's Washington Park by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Slavery & the Underground Railroad in New Hampshire by Brandy Ann
Cover of the book Miami's Criminal Past by Brandy Ann
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy