Fox Island

Nonfiction, Travel, Pictorials, Art & Architecture, Photography, History
Cover of the book Fox Island by Don Edgers, Arcadia Publishing Inc.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Don Edgers ISBN: 9781439620564
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc. Publication: March 10, 2008
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing Language: English
Author: Don Edgers
ISBN: 9781439620564
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing Inc.
Publication: March 10, 2008
Imprint: Arcadia Publishing
Language: English
Fox Island has had as wide a variety of names as inhabitants over its long and diverse history. The island was named for American lieutenant John L. Fox, who was with the 1841 Wilkes Expedition. However, it was first known as Bu Teu by the Native Americans who used the island for burials and potlatches, and it was later named Rosario by the Spanish in the 1770s. It served as a temporary Native American reservation after the Indian War of 1856, and later supported a large dogfish processing business and, from 1884 to 1910, a brick-manufacturing company. The island�s 1890s community of Sylvan contained a school, a store, a dock, a vacation lodge, and a waterfront church. In 1954, a bridge replaced the ferry to Fox Island. Today the U.S. Navy has an acoustic laboratory on the island, and two large church buildings have been built. Perhaps the most famous resident of the island was Washington�s first female governor, Dixy Lee Ray.
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Fox Island has had as wide a variety of names as inhabitants over its long and diverse history. The island was named for American lieutenant John L. Fox, who was with the 1841 Wilkes Expedition. However, it was first known as Bu Teu by the Native Americans who used the island for burials and potlatches, and it was later named Rosario by the Spanish in the 1770s. It served as a temporary Native American reservation after the Indian War of 1856, and later supported a large dogfish processing business and, from 1884 to 1910, a brick-manufacturing company. The island�s 1890s community of Sylvan contained a school, a store, a dock, a vacation lodge, and a waterfront church. In 1954, a bridge replaced the ferry to Fox Island. Today the U.S. Navy has an acoustic laboratory on the island, and two large church buildings have been built. Perhaps the most famous resident of the island was Washington�s first female governor, Dixy Lee Ray.

More books from Arcadia Publishing Inc.

Cover of the book Rock City by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Springfield by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Detroit's Michigan Central Station by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Slavery & the Underground Railroad in South Central Pennsylvania by Don Edgers
Cover of the book McHenry and McCullom Lake by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Iconic Restaurants of Ann Arbor by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Cincinnati's Underground Railroad by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Founding St. Louis by Don Edgers
Cover of the book McMinn County by Don Edgers
Cover of the book History of Davis Islands by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Coconut Grove by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Historic Taverns of Rhode Island by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Medina by Don Edgers
Cover of the book Playland by Don Edgers
Cover of the book The Goffle Road Murders of Passaic County: The 1850 Van Winkle Killings by Don Edgers
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy